Need the best woodworking books to guide you on your journey? You may need something to get you oriented and on your way as fast as possible. You might have an intermediate skillset but want to understand your hobby or trade better. This handy guide will cover everything.
Criteria For Book Selection
We wanted to list timeless and highly regarded woodworking books for all skill levels.
The standards on which we created our recommendations are listed below:
The recommended books cover topics like techniques and projects. The books cover most woodworking topics in great depth.
The chosen books provide a comprehensive overview of the woodworking craft, helping readers to gain a thorough understanding. These books address topics as diverse as woodworking fundamentals, joinery, wood characteristics, and project completion are also included.
Crafting for Newbies
Beginners can benefit significantly from some of the titles, while some are for more advanced woodworkers. Considering that not everyone is an expert, the list includes selections for those just establishing their foundation in woodworking.
Diverse Perspectives And Approaches
The selection includes books from various authors, each offering their unique perspective, expertise, and approach to woodworking. Readers are allowed to find what works for them.
Our Curated List
This list does not include all possible books on the subject. So we went with a few that are well-known and revered in woodworking circles. While some are not on the best-seller list, and some are not even written in the last ten years, they hold up even to this day.
- “The Complete Manual of Woodworking” by Albert Jackson and David Day: This guide contains a thorough coverage of all aspects of woodworking. The woodworking community considers it a classic.
- “Understanding Wood: A Craftsman’s Guide to Wood Technology” by R. Bruce Hoadley: This book provides woodworkers with valuable insight into the properties and science of wood.
- “The Joint Book: The Complete Guide to Wood Joinery” by Terrie Noll: This exhaustive guide provides detailed explanations and examples of different joints used in the woodworking industry.
- “The Essential Woodturner: A Step-by-Step Guide to the Skills, Tools, and Techniques” by Hilary Bowen: This book is aimed at woodturning aficionados and offers a step-by-step guide to turning wood in a lathe. It’s chalked full of valuable tips to create beautiful projects.
- “The Workbench Book” by Scott Landis: While the previous book emphasized tools, this focuses on the craftsman’s workspace-specifically the workbench. This book contains detailed plans and photos.
Must-Read Books for Novice Readers
While the books mentioned above provide valuable information for beginners, a few other titles are particularly helpful for those new to woodworking. We’d like to share a few more recommendations with you.
- “Woodworking 101: Skill-Building Projects that Teach the Basics” by Joe Hurst-Wajszczuk: This book gives readers a taste of woodworking by offering easy-to-do starter projects. Equipped with easy to follow instructions and expert guidance, it ensures that readers can successfully complete each project confidently.
- “The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Woodworking: Skills, Techniques, and Projects” by Gareth Branwyn: Ideal for beginners, this comprehensive guide provides a thorough introduction to the world of woodworking.
- “Woodworking for the Weekend: 20 Projects Using Reclaimed Timber” by Mark Griffiths: This book includes a selection of weekend project ideas that are specifically designed for newbies. It includes step-by-step instructions, photographs, and tips for working with reclaimed wood, making it an excellent choice for those interested in sustainability and repurposing materials.
- “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Woodworking” by Reed Karen: Don’t be insulted by the title. It’s humbling to start at square one. But also exciting. This read is for those embarking into the world of woodworking for the first time. It takes the beginner through sample projects and provides ideas and plans to whet the appetite.
Crafting with Offerman: Exploring Nick Offerman’s Woodworking Book
Who knew actor Nick Offerman has a flair for all things woodworking? So much so that he wrote a book called “Good Clean Fun: Misadventures in Sawdust at Offerman Woodshop.” Within the pages of this book, Offerman not only shares his passion for woodworking but also offers readers invaluable insights into his experiences at his personal woodworking shop. He discusses his woodworking projects, shares tips, and techniques, and includes humorous anecdotes. This unique book seamlessly weaves together a woodworking guide and a memoir, providing readers with a captivating glimpse into Offerman’s unwavering passion for craftsmanship and boundless creativity.
Woodworking On-the-Go: Pocket-Sized Books for Woodworkers
Pocket-sized woodworking books are available for woodworkers who are on the move. Packed with condensed information and practical tips, compact woodworking books serve as go-to references for woodworkers.
- “Woodworker’s Pocket Reference” by Charles Self: This handy reference book is a great way to learn about a variety of woodworking subjects, such as tools and joinery. It also covers finishing techniques.
- “The Handy Shop Reference: Useful Facts and Figures for Every Woodworker” by Tom Begnal: This consolidated guide is a treasure trove of information. This quick guide provides woodworkers with instant access to important information when working on their project.
While these books may not cover all aspects of woodworking in great detail, they can be valuable resources for quick tips, reminders, and project ideas when you’re on the go or need a handy reference in your workshop.
Within the world of woodworking, a vast reservoir of knowledge and inspiration awaits, ready to captivate and enlighten individuals at every level of expertise, from beginners to experts. Think of the recommended books in this guide as trusted allies accompanying you on your woodworking journey. We hope that one or two of these fine books will enrich your woodworking journey!