We wanted to share the best woodworking guides with you, whether you are a woodworker who is a pro or just starting. It may be that you need something to help get you going as quickly as possible. You might have an intermediate skillset but want to understand your hobby or trade better. Our handy guide will cover all bases.
We wanted to list timeless and highly regarded woodworking books for all skill levels.
Here are the criteria upon which we have based our recommendations:
Woodwork At Their Core
The books recommended are specifically focused on woodworking, covering a range of topics such as tools and techniques. They are full of useful and comprehensive woodworker information.
The chosen books cover a broad spectrum of woodworking aspects, ensuring readers can understand the craft well. The books cover essential topics such as woodworking fundamentals and tools.
Beginner-Friendly Woodworking Resources
These books cater to both beginners and intermediate woodworkers. These books provide step-by-step instructions, explanations of basic techniques, and guidance ideal for those starting their woodworking journey.
This selection of books includes books by various authors who each offer their unique expertise and perspective on woodworking. This gives readers the opportunity to learn about different techniques and discover where they would like to focus.
Handpicked Selections for You
This list does not include all possible books on the subject. So we went with a few that are well-known and revered in woodworking circles. Some have weathered the test of time, and although they have seen some years, they still remain relevant to this day.
- “The Complete Manual of Woodworking” by Albert Jackson and David Day: For complete coverage of all aspects of woodworking. It’s a contemporary masterpiece in its field.
- “Understanding Wood: A Craftsman’s Guide to Wood Technology” by R. Bruce Hoadley: If we want to work with wood, we should understand the natural properties of the material we work with. This book helps us understand those natural properties.
- “The Joint Book: The Complete Guide to Wood Joinery” by Terrie Noll: This extensive guide is devoted to wood joinery and includes detailed illustrations and explanations of the various woodworking joints.
- “The Essential Woodturner: A Step-by-Step Guide to the Skills, Tools, and Techniques” by Hilary Bowen: This book offers woodturning enthusiasts an easy-to-understand approach to turning on a lathe. This book covers it all for practical guidance on safety and tips for turning.
- “The Workbench Book” by Scott Landis: While the previous book emphasized tools, this focuses on the craftsman’s workspace-specifically the workbench. You can look forward to some beautiful and detailed drawings.
Handpicked Books to Kickstart Your Woodworking Adventure
For beginners delving into woodworking, there are a few other titles worth noting. We’d like to share a few more recommendations with you.
- “The New Woodworker Handbook” by Tom Hintz: This book is tailored specifically for beginners, offering a comprehensive exploration of woodworking tools, various techniques, and important safety measures. It offers easy-to-follow instructions for simple projects, along with practical advice to help you get started.
- “Woodworking Basics: Mastering the Essentials of Craftsmanship” by Peter Korn: Everyone has to start at square one. And that usually means learning the fundamentals if that’s a language or, in this case, woodworking. This book sees the world of woodworking through new eyes.
- “Woodworking for the Weekend: 20 Projects Using Reclaimed Timber” by Mark Griffiths: Tailored to suit the needs of beginners, this book offers an array of weekend projects perfect to start their woodworking journeys. For those interested in sustainability and the environment, this book is for you, with beautiful photographs and instructions on working with reclaimed wood.
- “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Woodworking” by Reed Karen: Despite the title, this book is a beginner-friendly guide that covers the essentials of woodworking. Within the pages of this book, you’ll discover how to best use tools and approach woodworking projects.
The Art of Woodworking with Nick Offerman: Recognizing an Exceptional Contribution
Funny man and woodworking aficionado has come out with a book titled “Good Clean Fun: Misadventures in Sawdust at Offerman Woodshop.” Through this book, Offerman opens up about his profound fondness for woodworking, inviting readers into his world and sharing insightful experiences from his shop. He shares his woodworking techniques, tips, and stories. It is a book that combines both a woodworking instruction guide and memoir.
Handy References: Pocket Books Every Woodworker Should Have
For woodworkers on the go, pocket-sized books on woodworking serve as convenient and portable references that can be easily accessed whenever needed. These compact volumes often contain concise information as well as quick tips.
- “Woodworker’s Pocket Reference” by Charles Self: Encompassing a broad scope of woodworking subjects, this compact reference book is a comprehensive resource that addresses tools, joinery techniques, finishing methods, and various other topics.
- “The Handy Shop Reference: Useful Facts and Figures for Every Woodworker” by Tom Begnal: This small reference book contains a wealth of information. With all the critical information when you need it, this guide is a valuable addition to any woodworker’s library.
While not as immersive as some of the other titles on our list, the handy guides provide lots of value in a compact size.
The world of woodworking offers is rich with knowledge and inspiration for both beginners and experienced craftsmen alike. Allow the recommended books in this guide to be your reliable companions on the path of woodworking, offering invaluable guidance, unwavering support, and a vast array of knowledge to enhance your skills and enrich your woodworking experience. So, grab a copy, dive into its pages, and let these authors’ guidance and wisdom enrich your woodworking endeavors. Happy woodworking!