No matter if you’re an experienced woodworker or just getting started, we want to provide you with the best books on woodworking to help you progress in your woodworking career. It may be that you need something to help get you going as quickly as possible. If you are already an intermediate to advance level artist and wish to improve your knowledge and skills in the field, our guide will help. This handy guide will cover everything.
Criteria For Book Selection
Our woodworking book suggestions aim to provide an unbiased list of popular and highly regarded books catering to different levels of skill and interest within the woodworking industry.
Our recommendations were based on the following criteria:
The books recommended are specifically focused on woodworking, covering a range of topics such as tools and techniques. They provide comprehensive and practical information for woodworkers.
The chosen books cover a broad spectrum of woodworking aspects, ensuring readers can understand the craft well. These books address topics as diverse as woodworking fundamentals, joinery, wood characteristics, and project completion are also included.
Starting from Scratch
While some books are more suitable for intermediate or advanced woodworkers, the recommendations include titles tailored to beginners. Using simple explanations, the authors walk the reader through step by step.
Diverse Perspectives And Approaches
Each author offers a unique approach, perspective, and expertise to woodworking. This allows readers to explore different methods and find the techniques that resonate with them.
Our Curated List
This list of book recommendations is by no means exhaustive. So we went with a few that are well-known and revered in woodworking circles. They are timeless, even if some were not written during this decade.
- “Understanding Wood Finishing: How to Select and Apply the Right Finish” by Bob Flexner: Finishing is a true fine art. This book addresses application techniques.
- “The Unplugged Woodshop: Handcrafted Projects for the Home and Workshop” by Tom Fidgen: Beginners will find a variety of projects in this book that focus on hand-tool woodworking. Detailed instructions and valuable insights are included to assist in the creation of handcrafted furniture and accessories using minimal tools and traditional techniques.
- “The Essential Woodworker” by Robert Wearing: This book focuses on hand-tool woodworking, emphasizing traditional techniques and skills.
- “The Anarchist’s Tool Chest” by Christopher Schwarz: This book explores the essential tools needed for woodworking and emphasizes hand tools over power tools. The book also discusses the philosophy and mindset behind the craft.
- “The Workbench Book” by Scott Landis: This book features several workbench design ideas, offering inspiration and guidance to woodworkers who are looking to build that perfect workbench. You can look forward to some beautiful and detailed drawings.
Books For Beginners
A couple of additional titles stand out as particularly beneficial for woodworking novices, supplementing the books mentioned above with valuable information. We’d like to share a few more recommendations with you.
- “The New Woodworker Handbook” by Tom Hintz: This book is aimed specifically at beginners and covers the basics of woodworking tools, techniques, and safety. Step-by-step instructions for everyday projects and practical advice to assist you in getting started are provided within this book.
- “Woodworking Basics: Mastering the Essentials of Craftsmanship” by Peter Korn: You have to start somewhere. This book is for those taking the first steps into the world of woodworking.
- “Woodworking for the Weekend: 20 Projects Using Reclaimed Timber” by Mark Griffiths: This book features a collection of weekend projects specifically designed for beginners. This book is an excellent choice for individuals who have an interest in sustainability and repurposing materials.
- “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Woodworking” by Reed Karen: With a slight chuckle at the title, this book is an ideal guide for beginners, providing a comprehensive overview of woodworking essentials. Within the pages of this book, you’ll discover how to best use tools and approach woodworking projects.
Honorable Mention, Nick Offerman’s Book on Woodworking
Actor and comedian Nick Offerman wrote a book called “Good Clean Fun: Misadventures in Sawdust at Offerman Woodshop.” Within the pages of this book, Offerman not only shares his passion for woodworking but also offers readers invaluable insights into his experiences at his personal woodworking shop. He shares his woodworking techniques, tips, and stories. In a remarkable fusion of genres, this book intertwines a woodworking guide with Offerman’s personal memoir, revealing his deep-seated affection for craftsmanship and his limitless creativity.
Woodworking Essentials in Your Pocket: Pocket Books for the Craft
Sometimes a woodworker needs to reference tips and techniques in the field. That’s where pocket-sized books come in. These compact volumes often contain concise information as well as quick tips.
- “The Handy Shop Reference: Useful Facts and Figures for Every Woodworker” by Tom Begnal: This compact reference book provides a wealth of information. With all the critical information when you need it, this guide is a valuable addition to any woodworker’s library.
- “The Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book” by Danny Proulx: This pocket-sized guide focuses on pocket joinery, one of the most popular techniques in woodworking. It provides instructions for various projects created using a pocket hole jig.
For the size-to-value ratio, these light and portable reference guides pack a punch. Chalked full of value in such a small size.
Whether you are a beginner taking your first steps into the world of woodworking or an experienced craftsman seeking new avenues of inspiration, this field is teeming with knowledge and creative ideas that are sure to ignite your imagination. The recommended books in this guide can serve as trusted companions on your woodworking journey. You can rely on the books recommended in this guide to help you along your woodworking journey.Consider the recommended books in this guide as steadfast companions on your woodworking journey, providing trusted guidance and valuable insights every step of the way. We hope that one or two of these fine books will enrich your woodworking journey!