No matter if you’re an experienced woodworker or just getting started, we want to provide you with the best books on woodworking to help you progress in your woodworking career. Getting started and quickly oriented may be what you need. You may be at an intermediate or advanced level but want to learn more about your craft. All aspects are covered in our easy and quick guide.
The Criteria That Guide Our Book Choices
Our woodworking book suggestions aim to provide an unbiased list of popular and highly regarded books catering to different levels of skill and interest within the woodworking industry.
Here are the criteria upon which we have based our recommendations:
Grounded In The Foundations Of Woodworking
The listed books contain a thorough coverage of a wide variety of woodworking topics. The books are comprehensive and provide practical information to woodworkers.
The chosen books cover a broad spectrum of woodworking aspects, ensuring readers can understand the craft well. These books address topics as diverse as woodworking fundamentals, joinery, wood characteristics, and project completion are also included.
Crafting for Newbies
Some books are better suited for advanced or intermediate woodworkers. However, there are titles that are specifically designed for beginners. These books provide step-by-step instructions, explanations of basic techniques, and guidance ideal for those starting their woodworking journey.
Each author offers a unique approach, perspective, and expertise to woodworking. This gives readers the opportunity to learn about different techniques and discover where they would like to focus.
Our Curated List
This list of book recommendations is by no means exhaustive. So we went with a few that are well-known and revered in woodworking circles. Some have weathered the test of time, and although they have seen some years, they still remain relevant to this day.
- “The Complete Manual of Woodworking” by Albert Jackson and David Day: For complete coverage of all aspects of woodworking. It’s a well-known classic.
- “Understanding Wood: A Craftsman’s Guide to Wood Technology” by R. Bruce Hoadley: There is a science to wood. This book helps us understand woodworking from that perspective.
- “The Essential Woodworker” by Robert Wearing: This book emphasizes traditional woodworking techniques and skills.
- “The Anarchist’s Tool Chest” by Christopher Schwarz: This book is a guide to the most important tools for woodworking, and it emphasizes hand tools rather than power tools. It also touches on the philosophy and mindset of the craft.
- “The Workbench Book” by Scott Landis: This book showcases various workbench designs, providing inspiration and guidance for woodworkers looking to build or upgrade their workbenches. You can look forward to some beautiful and detailed drawings.
The above titles provide a wealth of information for new woodworkers. Below are a few more recommendations worth considering.
- “Woodworking for the Weekend: 20 Projects Using Reclaimed Timber” by Mark Griffiths: This book includes a selection of weekend project ideas that are specifically designed for newbies. For those interested in sustainability and repurposing materials, you’ll find easy to understand instructions and tips on reclaiming natural materials.
- “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Woodworking” by Reed Karen: With a slight chuckle at the title, this book is an ideal guide for beginners, providing a comprehensive overview of woodworking essentials. It illuminates using tools and various woodworking techniques, presenting readers with simple projects to practice and enhance their skills.
- “Woodworking Basics: Mastering the Essentials of Craftsmanship” by Peter Korn: When beginning a new hobby, such as woodworking, everyone starts from square one. It involves grasping the fundamentals. This book helps master those basics to master the art.
- “Woodworking 101: Skill-Building Projects that Teach the Basics” by Joe Hurst-Wajszczuk: By providing easy-to-do starter projects, this book offers readers a glimpse into the world of woodworking. The reader can follow along and check their progress toward their project completion.
The Art of Woodworking with Nick Offerman: Recognizing an Exceptional Contribution
Actor and comedian Nick Offerman wrote a book called “Good Clean Fun: Misadventures in Sawdust at Offerman Woodshop.” In this book, Offerman shares his passion for woodworking and provides insights into his experiences at his woodworking shop. Within the pages of this book, Offerman not only discusses his woodworking projects but also shares valuable tips, techniques, and sprinkles in humorous anecdotes for an engaging reading experience. Blending elements of a woodworking guide and a memoir, this book showcases Offerman’s profound love for craftsmanship and creativity.
Compact Guides for Woodworkers: Essential Pocket-Sized Books
There are pocket-sized books available on woodworking that can be handy references for woodworkers on the go. Compact woodworking books are known for their ability to deliver concise information and handy quick tips.
- “The Handy Shop Reference: Useful Facts and Figures for Every Woodworker” by Tom Begnal: This small reference book contains a wealth of information. Some may say this is a must-have resource since it’s packed with information and in a size that makes it portable for any project.
- “The Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book” by Danny Proulx: Seemingly like a play on words, this pocket book covers pocket hole joinery. It will help you discover the wide variety of projects that utilize a pocket hole jig.
Although these books may not delve deeply into every aspect of woodworking, they serve as valuable resources for quick tips and helpful reminders.
The world of woodworking offers is rich with knowledge and inspiration for both beginners and experienced craftsmen alike. Think of the recommended books in this guide as trusted allies accompanying you on your woodworking journey. If you have read this far, you clearly have a taste for this rewarding craft. So grab a copy of these books and enjoy a richer woodworking journey!