We’ve compiled the best woodworking titles to help you in your woodworking journey. You may need something to get you oriented and on your way as fast as possible. You may be at an intermediate or advanced level but want to learn more about your craft. Our handy guide will cover all bases.
How We Selected Books For Our Collection
Our recommendations for woodworking publications are designed to give a balanced list of books that appeal to different skill levels and interests.
Here are the criteria upon which we have based our recommendations:
Relevance To Woodworking
The books recommended are specifically focused on woodworking, covering a range of topics such as tools and techniques. They offer comprehensive and useful information for woodworkers.
The chosen books provide a comprehensive overview of the woodworking craft, helping readers to gain a thorough understanding. The books cover essential topics such as woodworking fundamentals and tools.
Crafting for Newbies
These books cater to both beginners and intermediate woodworkers. These books are ideal for woodworkers who want to get started. They provide detailed instructions and explain basic techniques.
Covering the Gamut of Expertise
Each author offers a unique approach, perspective, and expertise to woodworking. Readers are allowed to find what works for them.
Books that Made the Cut
There are still many books left out of this list. We just couldn’t list them all. We have chosen a few of the best woodworking books, which are well-respected by both amateurs and professionals. While some are not on the best-seller list, and some are not even written in the last ten years, they hold up even to this day.
- “Understanding Wood Finishing: How to Select and Apply the Right Finish” by Bob Flexner: Finishing is a true fine art. This book addresses application techniques.
- “The Unplugged Woodshop: Handcrafted Projects for the Home and Workshop” by Tom Fidgen: Beginners will find a variety of projects in this book that focus on hand-tool woodworking. It offers in-depth guidance and valuable insights for crafting furniture and accessories by employing basic tools and traditional methods.
- “The Essential Woodworker” by Robert Wearing: This book highlights traditional techniques, skills, and methods of woodworking.
- “The Anarchist’s Tool Chest” by Christopher Schwarz: This book explores the essential tools needed for woodworking and emphasizes hand tools over power tools. It also covers doctrine and mindset.
- “The Workbench Book” by Scott Landis: This book features some very practical and creative workbench ideas. It includes detailed plans and photographs.
In addition to the previously mentioned books, a handful of other titles prove especially advantageous for woodworking beginners, providing them with valuable insights. Allow us to provide you with a few more recommendations.
- “Woodworking 101: Skill-Building Projects that Teach the Basics” by Joe Hurst-Wajszczuk: This book emphasizes learning by doing by giving the reader easy projects to get started right away. It provides step-by-step instructions, tips, and guidance to ensure the successful completion of each project.
- “The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Woodworking: Skills, Techniques, and Projects” by Gareth Branwyn: Ideal for beginners, this comprehensive guide provides a thorough introduction to the world of woodworking.
- “Woodworking for the Weekend: 20 Projects Using Reclaimed Timber” by Mark Griffiths: This book features a collection of weekend projects specifically designed for beginners. It includes step-by-step instructions, photographs, and tips for working with reclaimed wood, making it an excellent choice for those interested in sustainability and repurposing materials.
- “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Woodworking” by Reed Karen: This book is a user-friendly guide that thoroughly covers the fundamental aspects of woodworking. It explains tool usage and woodworking techniques and offers simple projects to practice and build skills.
Nick Offerman’s Woodworking Book: A Notable Addition to the List
Nick Offerman, the actor known for his role as Ron Swanson in the TV show “Parks and Recreation,” has written a book on woodworking titled “Good Clean Fun: Misadventures in Sawdust at Offerman Woodshop.” Within the pages of this book, Offerman not only shares his passion for woodworking but also offers readers invaluable insights into his experiences at his personal woodworking shop. He discusses his woodworking projects, shares tips, and techniques, and includes humorous anecdotes. In a remarkable fusion of genres, this book intertwines a woodworking guide with Offerman’s personal memoir, revealing his deep-seated affection for craftsmanship and his limitless creativity.
Woodworking Essentials in Your Pocket: Pocket Books for the Craft
For woodworkers on the go, pocket-sized books on woodworking serve as convenient and portable references that can be easily accessed whenever needed. These compact volumes often contain concise information as well as quick tips.
- “Woodworker’s Pocket Reference” by Charles Self: This compact reference book covers a wide range of woodworking topics, including tools, materials, joinery, finishing techniques, and more.
- “The Handy Shop Reference: Useful Facts and Figures for Every Woodworker” by Tom Begnal: This consolidated guide is a treasure trove of information. It’s a quick and handy guide for woodworkers who want instant access to essential information while working on their projects.
For the size-to-value ratio, these light and portable reference guides pack a punch. Chalked full of value in such a small size.
Woodworking, with its abundance of knowledge and boundless inspiration, serves as a captivating realm that nurtures the passions and fuels the creativity of both novices and seasoned craftsmen alike. Allow the recommended books in this guide to be your reliable companions on the path of woodworking, offering invaluable guidance, unwavering support, and a vast array of knowledge to enhance your skills and enrich your woodworking experience. We hope that one or two of these fine books will enrich your woodworking journey!