Whether you’re a seasoned woodworker or just beginning, we wanted to bring you the best woodworking books to help you grow in your woodworking journey. Getting started and quickly oriented may be what you need. You might have an intermediate skillset but want to understand your hobby or trade better. Our handy guide will provide you with all the information you need to be on your way.
The Selection Process For Our List
Our recommendations for woodworking books are intended to be a comprehensive list of highly-regarded and popular woodworking titles that cater to varying skill levels and woodworking interests.
Our recommendations were based on the following criteria:
Core Woodworking Principles
The books recommended are specifically focused on woodworking, covering a range of topics such as tools and techniques. They provide comprehensive and practical information for woodworkers.
The picked books go over many aspects related to woodworking, ensuring readers can understand the trade. The books cover essential topics such as woodworking fundamentals and tools.
Beginner-Friendly Woodworking Resources
Some books are better suited for advanced or intermediate woodworkers. However, there are titles that are specifically designed for beginners. These books are ideal for woodworkers who want to get started. They provide detailed instructions and explain basic techniques.
Diverse Perspectives And Approaches
Several authors are represented, each with their own techniques and approaches to woodworking. The books allow readers to discover new techniques and explore various methods.
We Present Our List
This list of book recommendations is by no means exhaustive. Rather than quantity, we went with quality-a few top recommendations revered by beginners and experts. They are timeless, even if some were not written during this decade.
- “The Complete Manual of Woodworking” by Albert Jackson and David Day: This comprehensive guide covers all aspects of woodworking, including tools, techniques, joinery, and finishing. It’s a contemporary masterpiece in its field.
- “Understanding Wood: A Craftsman’s Guide to Wood Technology” by R. Bruce Hoadley: If we want to work with wood, we should understand the natural properties of the material we work with. This book helps us understand those natural properties.
- “The Essential Woodworker” by Robert Wearing: This book is a guide to woodworking with hand tools, focusing on traditional skills and techniques.
- “The Anarchist’s Tool Chest” by Christopher Schwarz: Focused on tools, this book recommends hand tools over modern powered tools. It also covers doctrine and mindset.
- “The Workbench Book” by Scott Landis: While the previous book emphasized tools, this focuses on the craftsman’s workspace-specifically the workbench. The book includes photographs and detailed plans.
Handpicked Books to Kickstart Your Woodworking Adventure
The above titles provide a wealth of information for new woodworkers. We have some additional suggestions to offer you.
- “Woodworking 101: Skill-Building Projects that Teach the Basics” by Joe Hurst-Wajszczuk: With a focus on easy-to-do starter projects, this book gives readers a practical and enjoyable way to dip their toes into the world of woodworking. With a commitment to reader success, it walks the reader through each step of the way, guiding them with tips and expert advice.
- “The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Woodworking: Skills, Techniques, and Projects” by Gareth Branwyn: Designed with beginners in mind, this guide offers a thorough introduction to woodworking, covering all the necessary aspects.
- “Woodworking for the Weekend: 20 Projects Using Reclaimed Timber” by Mark Griffiths: This book includes a selection of weekend project ideas that are specifically designed for newbies. For those interested in sustainability and the environment, this book is for you, with beautiful photographs and instructions on working with reclaimed wood.
- “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Woodworking” by Reed Karen: Don’t be insulted by the title. It’s humbling to start at square one. But also exciting. This read is for those embarking into the world of woodworking for the first time. It takes the beginner through sample projects and provides ideas and plans to whet the appetite.
The Art of Woodworking with Nick Offerman: Recognizing an Exceptional Contribution
Actor and comedian Nick Offerman wrote a book called “Good Clean Fun: Misadventures in Sawdust at Offerman Woodshop.” Within the pages of this book, Offerman not only shares his passion for woodworking but also offers readers invaluable insights into his experiences at his personal woodworking shop. Offerman takes readers on a captivating journey as he delves into his woodworking projects, generously sharing tips, techniques, and injecting humor through entertaining anecdotes. This unique book seamlessly weaves together a woodworking guide and a memoir, providing readers with a captivating glimpse into Offerman’s unwavering passion for craftsmanship and boundless creativity.
Woodworking Essentials in Your Pocket: Pocket Books for the Craft
There are pocket-sized books available on woodworking that can be handy references for woodworkers on the go. They contain essential information when needed in the field.
- “The Handy Shop Reference: Useful Facts and Figures for Every Woodworker” by Tom Begnal: This small reference book contains a wealth of information. With all the critical information when you need it, this guide is a valuable addition to any woodworker’s library.
- “The Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book” by Danny Proulx: This pocket-sized book focuses specifically on pocket hole joinery, a popular technique in woodworking. It provides instructions for various projects created using a pocket hole jig.
Although these books may not delve deeply into every aspect of woodworking, they serve as valuable resources for quick tips and helpful reminders.
The world of woodworking offers is rich with knowledge and inspiration for both beginners and experienced craftsmen alike. Allow the recommended books in this guide to be your reliable companions on the path of woodworking, offering invaluable guidance, unwavering support, and a vast array of knowledge to enhance your skills and enrich your woodworking experience. We hope that one or two of these fine books will enrich your woodworking journey!