Whether you’re a seasoned woodworker or just beginning, we wanted to bring you the best woodworking books to help you grow in your woodworking journey. You might need something to get you started right away. Or you’re already at an intermediate to advanced level and want to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for your craft. All aspects are covered in our easy and quick guide.
Our recommendations for woodworking books are intended to be a comprehensive list of highly-regarded and popular woodworking titles that cater to varying skill levels and woodworking interests.
The standards on which we created our recommendations are listed below:
Relevance To Woodworking
The recommended books cover topics like techniques and projects. The books cover most woodworking topics in great depth.
The books chosen cover a wide range of woodworking topics so that readers will be able to understand what woodworking is all about. They cover topics such as the fundamentals of woodworking, tools, joining, wood properties, and the science of wood.
Selecting Beginner-Friendly Books for Woodworkers
Beginners can benefit significantly from some of the titles, while some are for more advanced woodworkers. Considering that not everyone is an expert, the list includes selections for those just establishing their foundation in woodworking.
Wide Range of Authors and Perspectives
Several authors are represented, each with their own techniques and approaches to woodworking. Readers are allowed to find what works for them.
Our Curated List
This list does not include all possible books on the subject. So we went with a few that are well-known and revered in woodworking circles. They are timeless, even if some were not written during this decade.
- “The Complete Manual of Woodworking” by Albert Jackson and David Day: For complete coverage of all aspects of woodworking. It is a classic.
- “Understanding Wood: A Craftsman’s Guide to Wood Technology” by R. Bruce Hoadley: If we want to work with wood, we should understand the natural properties of the material we work with. This book helps us understand those natural properties.
- “The Joint Book: The Complete Guide to Wood Joinery” by Terrie Noll: This extensive guide is devoted to wood joinery and includes detailed illustrations and explanations of the various woodworking joints.
- “The Essential Woodturner: A Step-by-Step Guide to the Skills, Tools, and Techniques” by Hilary Bowen: This book offers woodturning enthusiasts an easy-to-understand approach to turning on a lathe. This book covers the tools and safety concerns for beautiful turned-wood projects.
- “The Workbench Book” by Scott Landis: This book features some very practical and creative workbench ideas. The book includes photographs and detailed plans.
Must-Read Books for Novice Readers
While the books mentioned above provide valuable information for beginners, a few other titles are particularly helpful for those new to woodworking. Here are some additional recommendations.
- “Woodworking 101: Skill-Building Projects that Teach the Basics” by Joe Hurst-Wajszczuk: By providing easy-to-do starter projects, this book offers readers a glimpse into the world of woodworking. To ensure the successful completion of each project, it provides step-by-step instructions, valuable tips, and expert guidance.
- “The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Woodworking: Skills, Techniques, and Projects” by Gareth Branwyn: Ideal for those just starting out, this guide covers all basics starting at the beginning.
- “Woodworking for the Weekend: 20 Projects Using Reclaimed Timber” by Mark Griffiths: If you’re looking for easy projects with practical applications that will make your spouse happy, this starter guide is for you. This book is an excellent choice for individuals who have an interest in sustainability and repurposing materials.
- “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Woodworking” by Reed Karen: With a slight chuckle at the title, this book is an ideal guide for beginners, providing a comprehensive overview of woodworking essentials. Within the pages of this book, you’ll discover how to best use tools and approach woodworking projects.
The Art of Woodworking with Nick Offerman: Recognizing an Exceptional Contribution
Funny man and woodworking aficionado has come out with a book titled “Good Clean Fun: Misadventures in Sawdust at Offerman Woodshop.” Within the pages of this book, Offerman not only shares his passion for woodworking but also offers readers invaluable insights into his experiences at his personal woodworking shop. Offerman takes readers on a captivating journey as he delves into his woodworking projects, generously sharing tips, techniques, and injecting humor through entertaining anecdotes. In a remarkable fusion of genres, this book intertwines a woodworking guide with Offerman’s personal memoir, revealing his deep-seated affection for craftsmanship and his limitless creativity.
Compact Guides for Woodworkers: Essential Pocket-Sized Books
Pocket-sized woodworking books are available for woodworkers who are on the move. They contain essential information when needed in the field.
- “Woodworker’s Pocket Reference” by Charles Self: This compact reference book covers a wide range of woodworking topics, including tools, materials, joinery, finishing techniques, and more.
- “The Handy Shop Reference: Useful Facts and Figures for Every Woodworker” by Tom Begnal: This consolidated guide is a treasure trove of information. Some may say this is a must-have resource since it’s packed with information and in a size that makes it portable for any project.
These books are not comprehensive, but they do provide quick tips and ideas for projects. They can also be useful when you need to refer back to them in the workshop.
Within the world of woodworking, a vast reservoir of knowledge and inspiration awaits, ready to captivate and enlighten individuals at every level of expertise, from beginners to experts. Think of the recommended books in this guide as trusted allies accompanying you on your woodworking journey. So check one or two out. Browse them on Amazon. Pick up a couple that resonates with you, and enrich your woodworking journey!